Monday, February 1, 2010

Tanzania, Day 5

Wow! So much since the last post! Rob and I traveled to the airport together on Thursday morning, and as sad as it was to say goodbye, my excitement was overwhelming. I found my group without a problem, and we all boarded the LONG flight to Tanzania. From the moment I stepped out of the plane, I feel like I have been in a movie, or a dream. I keep thinking, this is how Africa looks on TV, and have to remember that I am actually here, that this is REAL, and that people are actually living like this. I can't go into all the details of the last several days, because I'm sitting in a STEAMING hot internet cafe, and have only 22 minutes left on the clock, several emails to write, etc. I have been handwriting a personal journal, and taking several (!!) pictures, so I will be very excited to share this experience with whoever is interested upon my return. The people here are amazing, and so poor, beyond what I could have ever imagined. The group that I am with for this first two weeks is Catholic, so most of our interactions with people have been through the Catholic churches here. 1/3 of the population is catholic, and it has been very interesting to see. The people live on next to nothing, walk endlessly all day, and do EVERYTHING by hand. Whenever we drive anywhere, the streets are flanked with people walking, women carrying HUGE bundles of sticks on their heads, young men leading their cattle and goat herds along the roads, and VERY young children walking without any adults! The lifestyle is very different here, but the people all seem very happy, as I guess they have never known anything different. The language barrier is very difficult, not many people speak very much English at all, and my Swahili is not good, but I am learning pole pole (little by little). The 'cities' that I have been to are Moshi and Arusha, and both are chaotic at best. There are no street signs or stoplights, and between the motorcycles, walkers, mules, oxen, goats, trucks, and cars, it's CRAZY. The heat is intense. BUT, despite all of this, it is amazing. We are staying at a complex for a group of priests called Sanya Juu. It is at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and Mt. Meru. It is in a village called Sanya Juu, and not a place that sees a lot of tourists. The priests are so kind, and very amused by our American ways. Just last night, the priests were hysterically laughing that we keep animals as pets. They couldn't believe that people would pay money to have surgery done to a dog! My perspective has changed so much already. I feel so comfortable and welcome here. It's hard to explain the emotion, but it's intense. I feel like I am getting everything out of this trip that I had hoped to, and more! I will continue to post as often as possible, which at this point, seems like it won't be more than once a week. I have no way of loading photos onto the computer, but I will be more than happy to share them when I get home. Lastly - the group that I am here with is involved in sponsoring children to go to school. There are many different schools here, the catholic boarding schools being the most expensive (900$/year), and the government day schools being the least expensive (200$/year). I am going to sponsor a student independently of the group I'm with. I will meet the child personally, and deal with the school on my own, and am inviting any and all of my friends to join me in this. Only 200 dollars is less than anyone I know is paying for rent for 1 MONTH, and it is enough to put a child through school for a full year, which is the only chance these kids will have to get out of this poverty. If you are interested, email me directly, jbsf@mac.com, and I will meet the child myself, personally, and handle the school as well. Much better than donating money to some 800 number, where you have no idea where it goes. I hate asking, and don't expect anyone to contribute, but wanted to share that the opportunity is here, and it takes VERY little to make a huge difference for a human being! Karibu sana.

No comments:

Post a Comment