Thursday, January 14, 2010

The adventure has begun!


Wow! What an amazing start! Since this last two days seems like one, I'll start back from my departure from Philadelphia. I left Philadelphia, in the rental car, and made the drive to New York City, with plenty of time to spare. I was so excited, I could barely contain myself. All of the things that would normally be annoying were exciting and fun - standing in line at the ticket counter, going through security (I got to show my passport!), and waiting at the gate. I was instantly stunned when I walked on the plane, the size was AMAZING! I love flying, so it was a real treat. I was on a window seat next to an older Indian couple. They initially were not very conversational, but after the gentleman's second glass of whiskey, we had a great conversation. I was very interested in hearing about he and his wife's travels to the United States from Mumbai to see their son, who is living in Raleigh, North Carolina. There were some really interesting cultural tidbits that I really enjoyed, for example, when I needed to get up to use the restroom, he couldn't hand his glass of whiskey to his wife, because she wasn't allowed to handle alcohol at all! Very interesting. They were very kind! The flight was a bit difficult, it's definitely the longest I've sat on an airplane. But after 7.5 hours, we finally arrived in Amsterdam! I had only gotten about an hour of sleep, so I was very groggy, but instantly the intensity of my excitement returned. The airport seemed huge, and although it was dark, I immediately had a sense that I was in a foreign country! We taxi'd forever, and over highways, and waterways! It was clearly The Netherlands. Everything went smoothly for me, I enjoyed passing through immigration, and collecting all of my luggage.
Waiting for me outside of the luggage area was Roelf with a big sign that said 'JAKE'. I have been so lucky to have Roelf meet me. We went outside to his car, where we met his wife Cecile. They are so kind, and I am thrilled to have my first night in Europe spent with them. They live outside of Amsterdam in a town called Epe, so we had about an hour and a half drive. I couldn't stop looking out the windows, street signs I had never seen, and all sorts of car brands that were new! Really very exciting! I tried to stay awake for the ride, but fell asleep about halfway through.
We arrived home at their beautiful dutch home, and I went to sleep. After a good nap, I woke up around 2 in the afternoon, and Cecile had the table completely set, with an assortment of dutch offerings! The dutch seem to like to eat bread, lots of bread, and all different kinds. I also had a raw meat spread that was delicious, some type of liver cold cut, and some very strange anise flavored beads, called muisjes, on bread of course. And lots of cheese! Everything was delicious, except I didn't care for the anise.
Roelf and Cecile than took me on a drive along one of the many beautiful dykes to Deventer, about 30 minute drive. The dutch countryside is stunningly beautiful. Amazingly flat, as far as I could see in every direction. Lots of farms with sheep, ponies, and wild geese everywhere. We did pass by several frozen lakes with children ice skating around. And of course SEVERAL wind mills. It looked like a dutch postcard. When we ended up in Deventer, we parked on one side of the Ijssel River, and took a ferry across to the other side, where we were in the village of Deventer. I immediately could tell that there was history in this village. There were buildings that were built in the twelfth century! What history! It was really lovely to walk around Deventer, with such kind and welcoming guides. The Dutch people seem to be very friendly. Although everyone is speaking in dutch to one another, they seem to have no problem speaking in English as well. Very impressive, makes me feel like a very provincial American! After looking inside a few churches, and at some beautiful cobblestone roads, we had a very nice meal at an old tavern from the 1600's. It all feels so European to me! I'm so glad that I have Roelf and Cecile to show me around out side of the metropolitan areas. While I am very excited to see the major cities, it is always very exciting to get outside a bit, and see the countryside. There really is water everywhere. Canals and rivers and dykes and all. What an amazing country! The meal in Deventer was very interesting. We had a mustard soup as an appetizer that was delightful.
So after a really great afternoon in Holland, I am back in their home. Feeling pretty jet-lagged, not sure if I'm awake or tired, but hoping to sleep tonight. I'm going to spend a little time with Roelf and Cecile tomorrow, and then take the train back into Amsterdam and get on a plane to London to see Brad!
I am so overwhelmed with gratitude. Grateful for the people in my life, and grateful for the opportunities. I feel like I'm dreaming. Sorry, I know, cheesy....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jake-
    So glad you're enjoying the Netherlands. The windmill photo appears real! Wow! The food sounds great and Roelf and Cecile are delightful hosts.
    Much love- keep traveling, buddy-
    xo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete