Thursday, January 21, 2010

What A Difference A Day Makes!

Ahhhhh, Barcelona! After a very difficult, albeit short, adjustment period, I am LOVING Barcelona. I woke up today and decided to slow down, that I didn't have to attack Barcelona at the pace that I did London. I had some things to attend to this morning, and I did so, despite the language barrier, and afterwards, while walking down the street, found a little bakery selling fried goods. I had already decided to turn my attitude around, but after eating two of these pastries that were fried and covered with sugar, one filled with cream, the other with fruit, I had arrived fully in Barcelona! I spent the next several hours walking around, watching and listening to the hustle and bustle that is Barcelona! It really feels very different than London did, and I definitely get the sense that I am in a foreign country. The people have all been so kind today, seeming to enjoy taking the time to try and help me with whatever I was asking for, usually directions. It's been fun to struggle through with my Spanish, and their attempts at English, and both of our dramatic gesturing sign language! The city is so beautiful, very noticeably Mediterranean. The buildings are all built very close together, and have beautiful little terraces with wrought iron railings, all having laundry hanging and several plants. The streets are filled with scooters whizzing by very quickly, all the while people hustling in every direction and Spanish filling the air. I took a little afternoon siesta, and then found the English speaking AA meeting, which was about a 50 minute walk, and headed out. The walk was beautiful, night had fallen, and the city is really magical. I will say, I do not have the same feeling of safety that I did in London. I can definitely sense a different vibe here, but being some one that has lived in some rough places in NYC, it doesn't frighten me, I'm just very aware of it. I can't explain how comforting it was to find the AA meeting, and sit through an hour of people speaking English, talking about things that were familiar. After the meeting, a couple of the guys and I went out for dinner. Ordering food has been the most challenging part with the language, because I never really know what I'm ordering. Tonight I ended up with a big 'combination plate,' with pork chops, a fried egg, fried potatoes, and the most wonderful fried fritters I've ever had! I'm finding that the Spanish like to fry, which is fine by me. The walk home was lovely, the streets had really cleared out and quieted down. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, to doing some more of the touristy things, and hope to get to a tour bus, and La Segrada Familia. After so many people have cautioned me about robbers and pickpockets, I've been so hyper vigilant, and been afraid to bring my camera out. But tomorrow, I'm going to do so, and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment