Friday, January 15, 2010

A day of Jet Lag and travel!






I have arrived in London, and I am very happy that I will be staying put for several days. The last few days have been amazing, but very exhausting. After a great day of travel and sightseeing in Holland yesterday, I was very excited to get into bed, only to sleep for 45 minutes, and not be able to fall back asleep until 5 am. I did sleep until around noon though, at which point I got up, packed up my things, and got ready to make my way back to Amsterdam to get on the plane. I can't imagine how I would have done this trip without Roelf and Cecile. It was such a gift to be able to leave the bulk of my things that I will be taking to Africa in Holland. Traveling today was much easier than the trip to Europe, being that I only have one small bag! So I took a train today from Epe to the Schiphol airport. There were complications though. I was supposed to switch trains in Amsfoort, but when I arrived there, the train I was supposed to switch onto was running more than 30 minutes late, which would have made me miss my flight. An older dutch couple that was also going to the airport helped me through, they got me onto two different trains with them, and I RAN through the airport. I was devastated when I arrived at the EasyJet counter, only to see an enormous line, BUT, the Dutch folks, being the nice people they are, invited me to get in the front of the line when they saw what I was going through. That would have NEVER happened at JFK! So I made my flight, and landed in London with no problem. I even figured out how to take the National Train to my friend Brad's house in Kennington. I literally walked into his door, put my bags down, and Brad whisked off to a meeting. It was really nice to sit through an AA meeting here in London, and hear all of the readings I'm so accustomed to hearing, but with a British accent. The biggest treat of the day was running into my friend Kip at the meeting, who I knew from years ago in New York City. He is living in London now, and it was just delightful to see him, and have dinner with him and the gang afterwards. Brad and Kip then decided to take me on a little walking tour back toward Brad's place, and it was magnificent. We walked right by Big Ben, which looks amazing at night, all lit up, and Westminster Abbey, and then we walked across a bridge over the Thames River. I'm SEVERELY jet lagged, and really hoping that I will be able to sleep tonight. So, short of a lot of travel, and bumping into my friend Kip, and being ecstatic to see my buddy Brad, it's been a pretty uneventful day. But I've got a lot of sightseeing to do tomorrow, so it's bedtime. Praying for sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment