Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jumping Amsterdam!






I'm very tired so I will keep today's update very brief. I was very pleased to spend the day with my new Dutch friend, Rob. It's really nice to have a local person to show me around, especially one that is so good looking and sweet! After sleeping in a bit, we met up around 11 and took the tram over to the RAI arena for Jumping Amsterdam, Europe's largest horse show. It was quite a spectacle. All day long we watched the competition, as the jumps were set higher and higher. It was amazing to see a competition at the highest level out there, and after an hour or two, we were both fully enthralled in the riding. In addition to the horse jumping, there were some beautiful choreographed numbers that a famous horse trainer did with his horses, which were magnificent to watch. I was quite pleased that Rob took such an interest in the riding, and very grateful that he was able to translate the Dutch announcers remarks. We took a break, and Rob showed me a well known lunch spot, where we both had an authentic Dutch lunch, and finished watching the horse show. Ireland took the trophy! The horses were magnificent, and the riding was truly remarkable. Watching horse and rider sail through the air over jumps that are 6 feet high and several feet wide is a wonder. The horses seem to suspend in midair for a moment. It all appears effortless, but as some one that's been on horseback quite a bit, I know, it is anything but effortless! After the show, it was already dark, so Rob and i both went home, took naps, and met back up for a quiet dinner of take out pasta and a movie at my place. So tomorrow will be my last full day in Amsterdam, and will be devoted to sightseeing and tourist things! It is a little tough, as it is bitterly cold and snowy out, but the snow does add to the scenery. I really love Amsterdam....

No comments:

Post a Comment