Sunday, January 24, 2010

Goodbye Barcelona.... Hello Amsterdam!





It's Sunday morning, and I'm sitting in my room in Amsterdam, looking out at a canal, snow falling from the sky, putting a white blanket over the city - so beautiful! Yesterday was my last day in Barcelona, and I was very sad to leave. I felt like i was finally hitting my stride there, I had begun to figure out the schedule, my spanish was getting used, and I was really enjoying the people and seeing the sights. I was able to reach my friend, Jared, from New York City, so we met up in the morning and had some breakfast. What a treat it was to see him. When we knew each other, we were both a lot younger, and in very different places in our lives, so it was really nice to spend time with him as the men we have become, and share our stories together. He speaks Spanish, and lives in Barcelona, so it was also comforting to be with some one that was so comfortable with the local scene, and able to show it to me a little. After strolling down La Rambla, Jared and I came to the big market that my buddy Brad had insisted that I check out. Brad was spot on! It's called St. Josep La Bouqueria, and it was amazing. It was a huge, bustling market, with immense amounts of meat and fish and fruits and vegetables. It was such a bright, beautiful spectacle of color, and bustling with activity. Jared and I both got one of the fresh juices, which were amazing. It was just really fun to walk around, soak it all in, watching local Spanish people doing their shopping, and tourists as well. From there, we walked around the city a bit more, and said goodbye. I grabbed my stuff and headed to the airport. The flight was not the most comfortable, I've never been on a plane with seats that were so close together, but I didn't care. In two hours and change, I landed in Amsterdam. This would be the last regional jet I would be taking before Africa. The Netherlands is the last country on my Europe tour. What I've seen of the city so far is gorgeous, and the fact that it's been snowing for a couple of days only enhances the beauty. I'm going to Jumping Amsterdam today, the biggest horse show in Europe, so I'm really looking forward to that. And I have a new friend, a Dutch guy, that is coming with me :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment